Essential Rammed Earth Construction
8.5 x 11”
|Language of origin|
The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
Rammed earth – sand, gravel, and clay or lime/cement binder packed into forms – is a low-energy, high-performance building method, yielding beautiful, sustainable results. It’s thermally stable and can be insulated, can actively modulate humidity, provides a healthy indoor environment, and allows site materials to be used for major structural and building envelope elements.
Essential Rammed Earth Construction covers design, building science, tools, and step-by-step building methods for any climate, with a special emphasis on building in cold climates of the northern US, Canada, and northern Europe. Coverage includes:
– Overview of earthen building
– Appropriate use of rammed earth walls
– Stabilized versus raw rammed earth
– Design considerations, including structural, insulation, and building envelope details
– Special considerations for cold and freeze-thaw climates
– Construction drawings, with step-by-step building instructions
– Tools and labor covering industrial methods, low-tech techniques, formwork options, mix design, budgets, and schedules
– Codes, inspections, and permits.
His guide is an essential resource for experienced builders, DIY home owners, designers, engineers, and architects interested in learning about rammed earth construction.